Coffs Harbour City Council
12 December 2017
EXTRAORDINARY Ordinary Council Meeting
Cnr Coff and Castle Streets, Coffs Harbour on:
Wednesday, 20 December 2017
The meeting commences at 8.30am and your attendance is requested.
1. Opening of Extraordinary Meeting
2. Acknowledgment of Country
3. Disclosure of Interest
5. Directorate Reports – Sustainable Communities
6. Consideration of Confidential Items (if any)
7. Close of Extraordinary Meeting.
Directorate Reports - Sustainable Communities
SC17/70 Contract RFT-883-TO - Design and Construction C.ex Coffs International Stadium...................................................................................... 3
Author: Group Leader City Prosperity
Authoriser: Director Sustainable Communities
MyCoffs: B.1 A thriving and sustainable local economy
Attachments: ATT1 SC17/70 CONFIDENTIAL Tender Assessment and negotiations - Contract No RFT-883-TO
Confidential in accordance with Section 10A(2)(d)(i),(d)(ii) of the Local Government Act as it contains commercial information of a confidential nature that would, if disclosed prejudice the commercial position of the person who supplied it, and information that would, if disclosed, confer a commercial advantage on a competitor of the council.
The ‘Building an EPIC Stadium for the Future’ project will upgrade C.ex Coffs International Stadium. The project is co-funded by Council, the Federal Government’s Building Better Regions Fund, and local business contributions.
Tenders for the design and construction of the project have been evaluated and negotiated to ensure the project objectives can be realised in the most cost effective manner for Council.
That Council considers tenders received for the Design and Construction of C.ex Coffs International Stadium upgrade, Contract No. RFT-883-TO, and adopt the motion as detailed in the confidential attachment to this Report.
Description of Item:
The ‘Building an EPIC Stadium for the Future’ project will upgrade C.ex Coffs International Stadium. The project is cofunded by Council, the Federal Government’s Building Better Regions Fund, and local business contributions.
To deliver a Stadium universally regarded by our stakeholders as the best regional sports Stadium in Australia, a place that drives the visitor economy through events, and that our community is immensely proud of.
1. To enhance the user experience now and into the future – a vibrant, innovative, integrated, and activated precinct that’s a pleasure to use and discover.
2. To be the venue of choice for field based sports, meeting the diverse stakeholder needs and requirements of large participant events, broadcast spectator events and community events, across myriad sports.
3. To embrace Council’s ‘digital first’ and ‘customer centric’ philosophies.
4. To deliver an inclusive, accessible and environmentally sustainable venue.
5. To remain open for business with minimum impact on our contracted annual events while the project is delivered
Open tenders were called for a Lump Sum contract in local and capital city newspapers and via Council’s electronic Tenderlink portal. The extended deadline for submission of tenders was 3.30pm on Tuesday, 5 December 2017.
Three tenders were received from the following companies:
1. AJ Pipelines Construction Pty Ltd.
2. Lipman Pty Ltd
3. O’Donnell & Hanlon Pty Ltd
This matter was last considered by Council at its meeting of 7 December 2017, where it resolved:
1. Decline to accept any tender received for Contract No. RFT-883-TO C.ex Coffs International Stadium upgrade; in accordance with S178(1)(b) of the Local Government Regulations.
2. Not invite fresh tenders as it is considered unlikely that a fresh tender with the same requirements would elicit a different result to that which has been achieved.
3. Delegate authority to the General Manager to enter into negotiations with any person (whether or not the person was a tenderer) with a view to entering into a contract in relation to the subject matter of the tender.
4. Note that the reason for determining to enter into negotiations is to achieve a more cost effective result for Council than that which resulted from the tenders.
5. Schedule an Extraordinary Meeting of Council at the earliest opportunity to consider the outcomes of the negotiations mentioned in point 4 above.
Tenders have been evaluated on the following criteria:
- Tender price and value for money
- Relevant experience and references of contractor and design team
- Design and Construction Methodology and Program
- Quality, Health & Safety Management Systems
Refer to the confidential attachment to the report.
The options available to Council under the Local Government Act with respect to this report are to:
1. Adopt the recommendation provided to Council within the Confidential Attachment.
2. Amend or reject the recommendation.
There are no environmental implications associated with this report. The development approval and related consents determines all relevant environmental considerations.
There are no social implications associated with this report. The development approval and related consents consider relevant social considerations.
• Civic Leadership
The project helps Council to realise a key strategic outcome of the My Coffs Community Strategic Plan: B.1 A thriving and sustainable local economy.
• Economic – Broader Economic Implications
Sports Events currently inject $30 million into the Coffs Harbour economy annually.
The independent financial analysis undertaken during the preparation of the business case confirmed that the ‘Building an EPIC Stadium for the Future project’ will deliver
$7.7m during construction
$3m per annum into the future
$4m per annum outside the region
62 during construction
41 into the future
27 outside the region
• Economic - Delivery Program/Operational Plan Implications
Refer to the confidential attachment to the report.
A full risk management plan is a standard part of any design and construct contract.
Considerable stakeholder consultation with sports, events, business and Council partners has been undertaken in the preparation of the project business case, concept designs and grant application. Many letters of support, as well as some financial contributions, were received from the local business community for the grant application.
Related Policy, Precedents and / or Statutory Requirements:
The calling and receiving of tenders was carried out in accordance with Part 7 Tendering of the Local Government (General) Regulations 2005.
Implementation Date / Priority:
If approved, the resolution can be implemented immediately.
The design and construction is the major component of the upgrade of C.ex Coffs International Stadium ‘Building an EPIC Stadium for the Future’ project.